Trip Planning: Australia

This week we’re very lucky to be escaping gloomy London in all it’s pre-Christmas twinkly glory and heading to Australia.

Our time in Australia will be split between (Brisbane where we have family), Noosa and Sydney.

adventures of a gluten free globetrekker Trip Planning: Australia Australia Gluten Free Travel International

Although I’ve been to Australia many times before – I met Mr D in Sydney and we had our first date at the Sydney Opera House, later the location of Mr D proposing – it’s been a few years since my last visit.

Do you have any good gluten free restaurant or bakery recommendations in Australia and the cities we’re visiting? We’re mainly self catering so any recommendations for supermarkets with excellent gluten free ranges would be good.

And also, if you have any great kid friendly recommendations (apart from the zoos, aquariums) please do let me know in the comments below. Any tips on entertaining jet lagged 3 year old twins also highly appreciated…!

PIN FOR LATER

Share:

6 Comments

1. Marie
    December 13, 2016 / 1:05 pm

Travelled to Australia earlier this year from Holland with two kids ๐Ÿ™‚ I was very Happy with the gluten free options at Coles and Woolworths. Depending on how big the supermarkt was, they both had good choices. bigger supermarkt had more choices. Loved the bread from Coles. Sometimes I had to search more. I found the gluten free bread in or the normal bread section, or the gluten free section or in the gluten free freezer section ๐Ÿ™‚ it was a surprise each Time where to find it ๐Ÿ™‚
    No jetlag tips. It took a week here for the kids. We had some short nights ๐Ÿ™‚

• December 13, 2016 / 1:37 pm

Thanks so much for the great tips! I’m looking forward to trying the gluten free bread from Coles, and seeing how it compares to gluten free bread in the UK.

2. Melinda Trembath
    December 13, 2016 / 7:15 pm

How exciting. Should I say the Melinda’s brand is the best!!!

We have some good options in the larger supermarkets including the new Abbot’s Bakery bread from Woolworths or Coles. If you can get it fresh its nearly as good as a fresh Genius or Warburton loaf. If you could sneak me a few packs of those delicious Warburton crumpets and wraps that would be fabulous!!

Otherwise we also have some great IGA (Independent stores) who stock a broader range of smaller brands. There is Luke’s SUPA IGA at Noosa Junction Plaza plus some great stores around Brisbane – check out the ‘SUPA’ versions for the best range.

There are lots of cafe options in Noosa and Brisbane – some three year-old twin friendly and others not. Google will list them. I’m trying to get to Decisions Cafe in Birtinya (it’s about 40 minutes from Noosa) check them out on Instagram

You ‘must’ try a Beefy’s gluten free pie – the best I’ve had in 20+ years. They are only in QLD and have several roadside spots between Brisbane and Noosa – very three year old friendly.

Wishing you a smooth journey.

Please pack some coolness for those of us who suffer from the humidity!!

Mel

• December 14, 2016 / 5:00 am

Mel, AMAZING! Thanks so much so the tips. I will be sooo happy if I can actually eat a proper Aussie meat pie, but gluten free version! Good to know about the IGA stores, I’m really looking forward to checking out all the different products, especially from small local producers. Thanks again!

3. Gemma
    December 14, 2016 / 9:22 am

Try and find Uncle Rick’s Celiac Heaven http://www.rickgrant.com.au/

I’m not sure if he has stores near where you will be – I discovered him in Melbourne. A bakery which was all gluten free, and mostly dairy free (so almost entirely suitable for me). It took me over an hour to decide what to have, I’d never had so much choice!

Generally I find Australia pretty good on allergies.

• December 14, 2016 / 9:42 am

Sounds incredible! I’ll definitely see if I can find him in QLD / Sydney.