Gluten Free Baking Course in London

Let me ask you a question. When was the last time you enjoyed a lunch like this? With all the components gluten free, homemade and delicious. Some time ago, right? Would you know where to start with making gluten free flaky pastry to wrap around a sausage roll? Nope, me either. Until yesterday.

When I had to exclude gluten completely from my diet I went out and bought armfuls of gluten free cookery books. While some have proved to be more useful than others, it rapidly became pretty clear that I was going to need proper instruction on how to cook gluten free food that people would actually like to eat. I can follow a recipe but felt I needed some tuition to build my confidence to try and be more creative and experimental with gluten free baking.

Since then I have searched long and hard for a gluten free cookery class. My needs were pretty simple (or so I thought); gluten free cookery school, on a weekend and in London. Although I did find one gluten free cookery class run on an infrequent basis, it was not on a weekend. So as I work full time, doing one of these classes would mean paying the cost of the course as well as losing a very valuable day’s holiday from work.

So you can imagine my sheer delight when not only did I find a gluten free baking course on a date I could make and which was in London, it turned out to be held somewhat bizarrely in a cookery school two streets from where I live! Fantastic.

Arriving at the course, we were greeted with possibly the best cake I’ve ever tasted (gluten free or not). Moist, light and full of raspberries. My kind of start to a learning experience!

The gluten free baking course was organised by the lovely Sarah Jones who runs Especially Delicious cakes, a company specialising in gluten free celebration cakes. Sarah has been cooking and baking gluten free for 15 years since being medically diagnosed as having to live on a gluten free diet and her passion for baking was clear on the course.

The 8 participants on the course had various reasons for learning how to bake gluten free, from their own or a family member’s medical reasons, wanting to feel better and even in order to cook for a soon to be daughter in law who is Coeliac (what a nice mother in law to be!).

The course offered exactly the good introduction to gluten free baking I was looking for. We made gluten free bread, flaky and shortcrust pastry, pizza dough, sugar cookies, classic sponge and doughnuts! All gluten free. Looking back, this was quite a lot to fit into the day, but it didn’t feel at all rushed. One of the course participants was also dairy free and this was accommodated.

Here’s a few photos of what we made on the course…..

Sausage rolls with delicious flaky pastry:

I made these bread rolls made using Sarah’s basic bread recipe. I’m feeling confident enough to try making this bread at home but with some added seeds for extra fibre and taste:

And for the pièce de résistance; a gluten free doughnut made by my own fair hands, ta da!

I must be going soft because I brought this home for Mr D to try. For the record, he loved it.

What I liked about Sarah’s recipes used on the course was that they really focus on the flavour of the food. Sausage rolls, doughnuts and cakes are not going to feature in my diet every day but I really wanted to learn how to cook with gluten free flours for the times when I do want to use them. I also liked the fact the recipes did not call for complicated mixes of flours, the readily available Dove’s Farm gluten free flour was used.

Everything you need for the course is provided on the day, including a recipe booklet to take away of the items we cooked. We also left the course with a box of our baking to take home. This was good because I got to see how the items kept for the next day. The sausage rolls still tasted amazing!

Going forward, Sarah plans to run some more specialised courses focusing on specific aspects of gluten free baking such as a whole session on bread making. You can sign up for her mailing list here and be notified of upcoming courses and any offers.

Details

Cost: £155

Course Length: 9am to 4pm

Content: Basics of gluten free baking are covered and you should leave the course feeling confident and inspired to bake gluten free

Where: Battersea, London (Clapham Junction is the nearest train station)

Next course: Saturday 7th May 2011

Course website: www.glutenfreebaking.co.uk

Especially Delicious: Gluten free celebration cakes website

It’s also worth checking out the website of the Authentic Ethnic cooking school where Sarah’s gluten free baking course was held. The very knowledgeable owner Tertia explained her Vietnamese cooking class would be  suitable for those on a gluten free diet as would the forthcoming raw food class. Click here for forthcoming classes.

Share:

22 Comments

1. March 23, 2011 / 7:58 am

Oh how I wish (like you did) that there was a gluten free cooking class near where I live and at a time that suits me. So far, I have been given a contact for someone who does classes, but I contacted her in January and she said she would get in touch when she is ready to schedule another class. Haven’t heard anything yet.
    Your food looks so good. JUST what I want to learn to cook. My chance may yet come but I wish it would hurry up. I am getting desperate after so many failures!

• Gluten Free Mrs D
      March 26, 2011 / 10:58 am

The course was really good, I feel so much more confident in attempting to bake with gluten free flours now. And the food did taste GREAT! I made some gluten free soda bread just before I found the course but which Mr D described as “wrong in every way” so you can tell I had some learning to do! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that a gluten free baking course comes up for you soon.

2. March 27, 2011 / 1:18 am

Funny, but the day after I wrote the comment, I met a fellow blogger who is in Auckland, New Zealand for 6 weeks or so and she offered to come to my house to show me some tips!
    Amazing, isn’t it. I will be taking her up on the offer, of course.

• Gluten Free Mrs D
      March 27, 2011 / 5:53 pm

Wow, how spooky is that?! I’m glad you found each other and have fun with your cooking session!

3. July 28, 2011 / 10:07 pm

Very Jealous here in Manchester!!!

4. September 21, 2011 / 6:35 am

wow, looks great, i wish they all well when we eat.

5. Melody J Lee
    October 3, 2011 / 12:45 pm

I would like to learn gluten free baking.
    Could I take a course here in America by online?
    Thank You.

• October 3, 2011 / 6:35 pm

Hello there, I haven’t heard of any online gluten free baking courses but I think they would be a great idea! For many people it’s not always that easy to travel to the places where the courses are held. I think it would be worth investigating gluten free baking courses which are based in the US as the ingredients used may not be the same in each country. For example, on this course we used the Dove’s Farm brand of flours which I don’t think are available in the US. Good luck and please let me know if you find any online courses.

6. Craig
    January 12, 2012 / 3:21 pm

I always enjoy reading your blogs Mrs D; it gives me more inspiration to make my own gluten free food as I am currently on a mission to eating healthier. I find a lot of gluten free food; I find it tastes so much better to normal food products. Leeds Plumbers

• January 12, 2012 / 10:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback. What are your favourite gluten free products?

7. ling
    April 4, 2012 / 1:34 am

Hi! Nice to find your blog on gluten free baking.
    Do you mind sharing the recipes? The sausage rolls look nice!

• ling
        April 5, 2012 / 11:37 pm

hiya, no worries!
        i have not tried the pre-prepared sausage rolls shown in the link.
        i would love to try to make it at home as i have someone with gluten intolerance to take care of 😉
        all these while, we just try to avoid gluten food in his diet!
        pre-pared food although gluten free, includes some other rubbish 😛 my personal opinion.

• April 6, 2012 / 4:01 pm

Totally understand about preferring home cooked food. If you have a good gluten free pastry recipe you could make the sausage rolls with sausage meat slipped out of the skins from either the Black Farmer gluten free sausages or perhaps some from Marks & Spencer whose sausages are all gluten free now (check the labels though).

8. Paul
    April 6, 2012 / 6:51 pm

Hi – A member of my family has just been confirmed as Coeliac, so my wife and I want to/will have to start preparing Gluten free food and have been looking for some courses to go on. Do you know if the course you went on still runs? Also, are there any others you can recommend!
    And yes, the food looks amazing by the way!
    Thanks, Paul

9. August 23, 2012 / 7:48 pm

Sawdust (methyl cellulose), potato- and corn starch are just not good ingredients for a healthy loaf of bread. You need to glue it all together with Xanthan gum or Psyllium husk (who knows what that is?) To insult your intelligence further you are being sold a nice brown loaf which is coloured brown with beetroot and sugar – nothing to do with wholemeal which is what you are supposed to think you are buying. The whole thing is made to last for ages with calcium proprionate E282 (made from proprionic acid – which in turn is E280 made from gut inhabiting bacteria of cows) Yummm. The enzymes that keep it squeezy soft don’t even have to put on the label. Don’t believe me – just read the labels of Genius and Warburtons and check it out. I made it my life’s business to make healthy gluten free bread out of natural grains – there are lots of gluten free grain, even beans and seeds that nature gives us to make DELICIOUS totally natural bread. Ok – it’s not huge and fluffy and it is a bit expensive – it doesn’t keep for ages because it hasn’t any preservatives in it and it has a proper crust because it hasn’t got any added enzymes in it to keep it soft even if it was totally stale. How comes it is ok to pay £ 3.65 for a coffee which costs about 10p to make and its not ok to pay that for a loaf of bread made?

10. Sachiko
    February 9, 2014 / 5:13 am

I am really interested in your school.
    I am Sachi.I am sending you email from Japan.
    I have a plan to study vegan food abroad for 6 months. I had cancer 3 years ago, but the cancer I got was gone with changing food etc… So I would like to show many people that natural food is good for health.

The purpose is going to cooking class.

I would like to learn how to cook and get a certificate.(vegan food and glutenfree food)
    I would like to learn sense, not Japanese.
    I would to learn nutrition of natural food if it is possible.
    I would like to learn mental healing like yoga or something.

Could you tell me your school can do above these?

Thank you for reading.
    I hope I can get response soon.

Best wishes,