Surprising Items Labelled as Gluten Free: Branston Pickle

So today’s post was supposed to be about the Mexican restaurant Wahaca. I officially *heart* Wahaca and had been looking forward all morning (or in all honesty the whole 2 weeks since I made the plans) to lunch there with a friend. When we arrived eagerly anticipating a Mexican feast, we were shocked to discover a problem with the water in East London had forced closure of the restaurant. What a nightmare!! We’ll be meeting up again in a couple of weeks so my post about their fab food and very helpful mails on their Coeliac friendly food will have to wait.

Instead, today’s post is about items of of food which surprise me when I see their labelling as gluten free.

Branston Pickle.

4465557642 e3cda2982f m Surprising Items Labelled as Gluten Free: Branston Pickle

I was rifling through the fridge earlier and noticed the back label on Branston Pickle stated “suitable for a gluten free diet”. Not sure why I find this surprising, and clearly it’s great, but it got me thinking. For items like GF bread, pasta or biscuits which are made as specific alternatives to food products, labelling them as gluten free is clearly a requirement. It’s the point of the product.

But who decides for products like Branston pickle which I wouldn’t necessarily associate with gluten? How and why do producers decide to change their labelling? Are food producers listening to the growing gluten free market and updating their labelling as a result?

Comments very welcome!

Gluten Free Mrs D

17 Responses to Surprising Items Labelled as Gluten Free: Branston Pickle
  1. karen
    July 6, 2011 | 12:11 pm

Anyone who knows anything about gluten and pickles, will know that malt vinegar is often used in pickling, and this is not permitted on a gluten_free diet. So it is a help to have it clearly labelled on pickles.

2. Renee
    December 18, 2011 | 1:32 am

Which brand is gluten free? The kind I have cross and blackwell is not. Thanks

• Gluten Free Mrs D
      December 18, 2011 | 7:39 pm

Hello there, the Branston pickle in this post is safe according to the Coeliac UK Food & Drink Directory. Whereabouts in the world are you?

3. Melanie
    April 5, 2013 | 12:54 am

I’d check that one, its made with barley products.

4. Gluten Free Traveller
    April 16, 2013 | 4:30 am

So Branston Pickle is gluten free? Interesante. Do you know if this is still the case? I need to find some here in SF. I used to love a cheese and pickle sandwich :)

• Gluten Free Mrs D
      April 21, 2013 | 11:01 am

According to Coeliac UK it’s suitable for a gluten free diet. It appears in Section 2 of their food directory. Products which appear in this section are made without gluten containing ingredients and have controls in place to minimise cross contamination risk. (For info section 1 of the directory contains foods which are on prescription, free from foods labelled ‘gluten free’ and those with the crossed grain symbol).

5. Judith Broughton
    July 26, 2013 | 11:26 am

Although many pickles contain malt vinegar (which is made from barley malt, ie contains gluten), according to the coeliac website:
    ‘Barley malt vinegar is made using a fermentation process. The end product only contains a trace amount of protein (and therefore gluten), which is well below the level which is safe for most people with coeliac disease.’

6. JR Tomlin
    August 14, 2013 | 6:44 pm

Companies label it for two reasons: more and more there are legal requirements for labeling for allegens and because you cannot ASSUME that anything is gluten free. Companies use gluten in all kinds of things that one would not think contained gluten. Believe me, those of us with celiac disease appreciate not having to call to check.

• Gluten Free Mrs D
      September 7, 2013 | 9:34 am

Yes, you’re absolutely right. Here in the UK there is a legal requirement to label foods containing certain allergens including gluten. It certainly makes life easier to know there are rules and regulations in place which govern those products which can be labelled gluten free. It’s then up to the consumer to select those products.

7. chloe
    August 18, 2013 | 11:31 pm

Here in the UK, I would steer well clear of Branston Pickle. Numerous coeliac friends & I have been ‘glutenated’ by it, before we became wise to the evil Barley Malt Vinegar! The pickle doesn’t have Gluten Free on the label here though, thankfully. As with Coeliac UK’s suggestion that a small amount of Barley Malt Extract would be fine (for example, a bowl of Rice Krispies, which actually made me incredibly ill), this is one they got wrong for many people!

• Gluten Free Mrs D
      September 7, 2013 | 9:32 am

Hi Chloe, thanks for stopping by and commenting. As you say, this is the advice from Coeliac UK with regards to Branston Pickle / malt vinegar:

Can I use malt vinegar?
      Malt vinegar can be made from barley and is found in pickles, chutneys and condiments such as sauces. If it is used in a product the manufacturer must list the word ‘barley’ on the ingredients list.

Barley malt vinegar is made using a fermentation process. The end product only contains a trace amount of protein (and therefore gluten), which is well below the level which is safe for most people with coeliac disease. In addition, barley malt vinegar is only usually eaten in small amounts, for example, drained pickled vegetables, sauces with a meal, on chips.

Balsamic, cider, sherry, white wine and red wine vinegars are not made from barley and are also suitable for a gluten-free diet.

I think the key point in this is that’s it’s tolerated by most - but not all – people as you’ve explained.

• wedgberto
      October 19, 2013 | 1:43 pm

Hey Chloe, was there any chance that your jars of Branston had been used on gluten sandwiches before ?(i.e accidentally contaminated with gluten bread crumbs)

• chloe
        October 21, 2013 | 3:59 pm

Hi, no, a new jar in a gluten free household. We all have the same reaction in my family to Branston pickle, and any items with barley malt vinegar are no go areas. Shame, as it’s so yummy, almost worth the nausea and bloat for..!

8. Phil a
    February 13, 2014 | 12:46 pm

Hi,
    Just so you know, the tolerance level for being “gluten free” is 20ppm, meaning that those of us who have above average sensitivity are still impacted by the traces of gluten in the product.

If you’re coeliac & want to be certain, check the ingredients and avoid anything which MIGHT contaminate, and avoid anything with those ingredients, including Heinz and Cross&Blackwell pickles

I’m yet to find a TRULY gluten free pickle (I’m a hyper-sensitive coeliac)

Phil

• Ali
      May 5, 2014 | 7:32 am

Hey Phil, not sure where you are but i have found a gluten free pickle at my local supermarket here in Australia. Spring Gully Green tomato pickle ingredients sugar, onions, water, green tomato, thickener 1422 , modified maize starch, herbs and spices and food acid 260. its made here in Australia and i am pretty sure some of our testing even so less than 3ppm of gluten when its tested. maybe an option for you if you are really sensitive coeliac
      Ali

• Phil
        May 5, 2014 | 9:01 am

Hi Ali,
        I’m in the UK, so can’t get Spring Gully products (as they’re an Australian based company)

My level of sensitivity is so high that I can’t tolerate any gluten at all, meaning that I have to make all my food from fresh, using virtually no pre-packaged items, like sauces, pickles, etc

Thanks for the info though :)

Phil